Director of Plant and Soil SciencesAssociate Professor of Horticulture
Dr. Sven Verlinden earned a bachelor of science degree in horticulture from Michigan State University and a doctorate in horticulture (Molecular Biology of Flower Senescence) from Perdue University. At WVU he has taught courses in plants and people, western Europe landscapes, herbaceous plant materials, garden center management, storage and handling of horticultural crops, greenhouse management and professional field experience, senior thesis and graduate seminar.
- Verlinden, S. 2019. Microgreens: Definitions, Product Types, and Production Practices. Horticultural Reviews. Wiley-Blackwell. (book chapter – submitted)
- Brumfield, R., Kenny, L., DeVincentis, A., Koeser, A., Verlinden, S., Bi, G., Lovell, S., Stewart, R. 2018. Analysis of Economic and Social Costs of Growing Petunia x hybrida in a Greenhouse Production System Using Alternative Containers. HortScience 53(8):1179-1185
- Verlinden, S., McDonald, L., Kotcon, J., Childs, S., Childers, T. 2017. Long-term Effect of Manure Application in a Certified Organic Production System on Soil Physical and Chemical Parameters and Vegetable Yields. HortTechnology 27:171-176
- Conneway, R., Verlinden, S., Koeser A.K., Evans, M., Schnelle, R. Anderson, V., Stewart, J.R. 2015. Use of Alternative Containers for Long- and Short-Term Greenhouse Crop Production. HortTechnology 25:26-34
- Niu, G., Sun, Y., Koeser, A., Bi, G., Anderson V., Jacobson, K., Conneway, R., Verlinden, S. 2015. Impact of Biocontainers on Plant Performance and Container Decomposition in the Landscape. HortTechnology 25:63-70
- Verlinden, S., Silva, S.M., Herner, R.C., Beaudry, R. M. 2014. Time-Dependent Changes in the Longitudinal Sugar and Respiratory Profiles of Asparagus Spears During Storage at 0 °C. J. Am. Soc. Hort. Sci. 139:339-348