Interim Associate Dean of Academic AffairsAssociate Professor of Biochemistry
Dr. Barnes serves as coordinator of the Intercollegiate Biochemistry Program. She earned a bachelor of science degree from Michigan State University in 2000, a master of science degree from the University of Nebraska in 2002, and a doctorate from the University of Nebraska in 2005, all in animal science. She served as a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Nutritional Sciences at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (2005 – 2007) and then as an Assistant – Associate Professor of Biochemistry in the Division of Animal and Nutritional Sciences at West Virginia University (2007 – present). In 2013 the Intercollegiate Biochemistry Program was formed and Dr. Barnes took over the coordinator role in 2015.
- Ippagunta, S, Z Angius, M Sanda, KM Hargrave-Barnes. 2013. Dietary CLA-induced lipolysis is delayed in soy oil-fed mice compared to coconut oil-fed mice. Lipids 48(11):1145-1155.
- Kanosky, KM, S Ippagunta, and KM Barnes. 2013. Mice do not accumulate muscle lipid in response to dietary conjugated linoleic acid. J. Anim. Sci. 91:4705-4712.
- Shelton, VJ, AG Shelton, MJ Azain, and KM Hargrave-Barnes. 2012. Incorporation of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) into brain lipids is not necessary for CLA-induced reductions in feed intake or body fat in mice. Nutr. Res. 32:827-836.
- Barnes, KM, NR Winslow, AG Shelton, KC Hlusko, and MJ Azain. 2012. Effect of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on marbling and intramuscular adipocytes in pork. J. Anim. Sci. 90:1142-1149.
- Ippagunta, S, T.J. Hadenfeldt, JL Miner, and KM Hargrave-Barnes. 2011. Dietary conjugated linoleic acid induces lipolysis in adipose tissue of coconut oil-fed mice but not soy oil-fed mice. Lipids 46:821-830.
- Hausman, GL, MV Dodson, K Ajuwon, M Azain, KM Barnes, LL Guan, Z Jiang, SP Poulos, RD Sainz, S Smith, M Spurlock, J Novakofski, ME Fernyhough, and WG Bergen. 2009. Board Invited Review: The biology and regulation of preadipocytes and adipocytes in meat animals. J. Anim. Sci. 87:1218-1246.
- Hargrave-Barnes, KM, MJ Azain, and JL Miner. 2008. Conjugated linoleic acid-induced fat loss dependence on 6-desaturase or cyclooxygenase. Obesity 16:2245-2252.
- Hargrave, KM, and JL Miner. 2006. The trans-10,cis-12 CLA isomer induces death of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes but not adipocytes. Adipocytes 2:125-132.
- Hargrave, KM, MJ Azain, and JL Miner. 2005. Dietary coconut oil increases the sensitivity to conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of an essential fatty acid deficiency. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1737:52-60.
Hargrave, KM, BJ Meyer, CL Li, MJ Azain, CA Baile, and JL Miner. 2004. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid and fat source on body fat and apoptosis in mice. Obes. Res. 12:1435-1444.