Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs Kim Barnes received a bachelor’s degree in animal science from Michigan State University, a master’s and Ph.D. in animal science from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and completed a post-doctoral fellowship at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She joined WVU in 2007 as an assistant professor in the Division of Animal and Nutritional Sciences. In 2015, Barnes was selected to lead the intercollegiate biochemistry program, the first program of its kind at WVU and shared between the Davis College and the Eberly College of Arts and Sciences. A student-centered leader, Barnes served as interim director for the Division of Animal and Nutritional Sciences from 2018-2019. She was then named to the 2019-2020 class of Academic Leadership Fellows by the Office of the Provost. During her tenure, Barnes explored how to better develop and manage interdisciplinary programs. She also served on the academic policy committee, TorchStar retention steering committee and the online academic support committee.
- Ippagunta, S, Z Angius, M Sanda, KM Hargrave-Barnes. 2013. Dietary CLA-induced lipolysis is delayed in soy oil-fed mice compared to coconut oil-fed mice. Lipids 48(11):1145-1155.
- Kanosky, KM, S Ippagunta, and KM Barnes. 2013. Mice do not accumulate muscle lipid in response to dietary conjugated linoleic acid. J. Anim. Sci. 91:4705-4712.
- Shelton, VJ, AG Shelton, MJ Azain, and KM Hargrave-Barnes. 2012. Incorporation of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) into brain lipids is not necessary for CLA-induced reductions in feed intake or body fat in mice. Nutr. Res. 32:827-836.
- Barnes, KM, NR Winslow, AG Shelton, KC Hlusko, and MJ Azain. 2012. Effect of dietary conjugated linoleic acid on marbling and intramuscular adipocytes in pork. J. Anim. Sci. 90:1142-1149.
- Ippagunta, S, T.J. Hadenfeldt, JL Miner, and KM Hargrave-Barnes. 2011. Dietary conjugated linoleic acid induces lipolysis in adipose tissue of coconut oil-fed mice but not soy oil-fed mice. Lipids 46:821-830.
- Hausman, GL, MV Dodson, K Ajuwon, M Azain, KM Barnes, LL Guan, Z Jiang, SP Poulos, RD Sainz, S Smith, M Spurlock, J Novakofski, ME Fernyhough, and WG Bergen. 2009. Board Invited Review: The biology and regulation of preadipocytes and adipocytes in meat animals. J. Anim. Sci. 87:1218-1246.
- Hargrave-Barnes, KM, MJ Azain, and JL Miner. 2008. Conjugated linoleic acid-induced fat loss dependence on 6-desaturase or cyclooxygenase. Obesity 16:2245-2252.
- Hargrave, KM, and JL Miner. 2006. The trans-10,cis-12 CLA isomer induces death of 3T3-L1 preadipocytes but not adipocytes. Adipocytes 2:125-132.
- Hargrave, KM, MJ Azain, and JL Miner. 2005. Dietary coconut oil increases the sensitivity to conjugated linoleic acid-induced body fat loss in mice independent of an essential fatty acid deficiency. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1737:52-60.
Hargrave, KM, BJ Meyer, CL Li, MJ Azain, CA Baile, and JL Miner. 2004. Influence of conjugated linoleic acid and fat source on body fat and apoptosis in mice. Obes. Res. 12:1435-1444.