Gazal, Kathryn Arano
Associate Professor of Forest Resources Management
Kathryn Arano Gazal is currently an Associate Professor of Forest Economics and Management in the Forest Resources Management Program, School of Natural Resources at West Virginia University (WVU). She received her BS and MS degrees in forestry from the University of the Philippines Los Banos and her PhD degree from Mississippi State University. She was hired as an assistant professor at WVU in 2004 and has taught courses in Principles of Forestry Economics, Forest Valuation and Investment, Renewable Natural Resources Policy and Governance and Global Forest Resources. Her research work includes examining investment behavior of private forest landowners, forest taxation, urban forestry, export activities of forest products companies in West Virginia, e-commerce and social media use in the forest products industry, and Marcellus shale drilling impacts on forest products industry and private forest landowners’ behavior.
- Arano, K.G., Velikova, M. and K.A. Gazal. 2018. Marcellus Shale play and the cointegration of natural gas markets in the Northeast. International Journal of Energy Sector Management, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJESM-08-2017-0006.
- Fegel, T., D. McGill, K. Gazal, and D. Smaldone. 2018. Educational Preferences of West Virginia’s Female Woodland Owners. Journal of Extension, [Online], 56(1) Article 1RIB3. Available at: https://www.joe.org/joe/2018february/rb3.php.
- Deng, J., K.A. Gazal, and S. Selin. 2017. Visitor impact estimates of Garrett County, MD. Tourism Analysis 22: 105-111.
- Gazal, K.A., I. Montague, R. Poudel and J. Wiedenbeck. 2016. The forest products industry in a digital age: factors affecting social media adoption. Forest Products Journal 66(5/6):343-353.
- Montague, I., K.A. Gazal, J. Wiedenbeck, and J. Shepherd. 2016. The forest products industry in a digital age: a look at ecommerce and social media. Forest Products Journal 66(1-2):49-57.
- Gazal, K.A. and J. Wang. 2013. Export activities of central Appalachian hardwood products industry: the case of West Virginia. Forest Products Journal 62(7/8):607-612.
- Fortney, J. and K.G. Arano. 2009. Property Taxes and Forests in West Virginia: A Historical Review. Small Scale Forestry 9:67-80.
- Joshi, S. and K.G. Arano. 2009. Determinants of Private Forest Management Decisions: A Study on West Virginia NIPF Landowners. Forest Policy and Economics 11(2), 132-139.