Research and Development Coordinator, National Soil Survey Center-Geospatial Research
Professor of Soil Science
Dr. Jim Thompson earned a bachelor of science degree in agronomy from The Pennsylvania State University, a master of arts degree in geography from The Ohio State University, and a doctorate in soil science from the University of Minnesota. At WVU he has taught courses in soil judging and advanced soil judging, soil survey and land use, soil genesis and classification, environmental soil management, pedology, pedometrics, applied wetland ecology and management, and graduate seminar.
- Thompson, J.A., J.M. Galbraith, and J.N. Shaw (ed.). 2008. Handbook for American Society of Agronomy Collegiate Soils Contest, Southeastern Region. (Available online with updates at https://sites.google.com/a/vt.edu/se_region_soil_judging/.) [Last Updated: 08-09-17.]
- Coyne, M.S. and J.A. Thompson. 2006. Fundamental Soil Science. Delmar Learning, Clifton Park, NY.
- Coyne, M.S. and J.A. Thompson. 2006. Math for Soil Scientists. Delmar Learning, Clifton Park, NY.
- King, L.D., H.J. Kleiss, and J.A. Thompson. 2004. SSC 200 Soil Science Laboratory Manual. Tavenner Publishing Co., Anderson, SC.
- Ramcharan, A., T. Hengl, T. Nauman, C. Brungard, S. Waltman, S. Wills, and J. Thompson. 2018. Soil property and class maps of the conterminous US at 100 meter spatial resolution based on a compilation of soil point observations and machine learning. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. doi: 10.2136/sssaj2017.04.0122
- Nottingham, A.C., J.A. Thompson, F. Wood, P.J. Edwards, and M.P. Strager. 2018. Mapping pedomemory of spodic morphology using a species distribution model, Geoderma. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geoderma.2017.10.044.
- Kim, D., D.R. Hirmas, R.W. McEwan, T.G. Mueller, S.J. Park, P. Šamonil, J.A. Thompson, and O. Wendroth. Predicting the Influence of Multi-Scale Spatial Autocorrelation on Soil–Landform Modeling. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 80(2):409-419.
- D’Avello, T., S. Indorante, S. Waltman, and J. Thompson. A Pedological Tale IV: Conversations with Turtle, Bear and Eagle. Soil Horizons, 56(2). doi: 10.2136/sh2015-56-2-rc1
- Nauman, T.W., J.A. Thompson, S.J. Teets, T.A. Dilliplane, J.W. Bell, S.J. Connolly, H.J. Liebermann, and K.M. Yoast. 2015. Ghosts of the forest: Mapping pedomemory to guide forest restoration. Geoderma 247: 51-64. doi:10.1016/j.geoderma.2015.02.002
- Thompson, J.A., and J.C. Bell. 2016. Hydric Soil Indicators in Mollisol Landscapes. Pp. 311-323. In Vepraskas, M.J., and C.B. Craft (Eds.) Wetland Soils: Genesis, Hydrology, Landscapes, and Classification, 2nd ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Jackson, C.R., J.A. Thompson, and R.K. Kolka. 2014. Wetland Soils, Hydrology, and Geomorphology. Pp. 23-60. In D.P. Batzer and R.R. Sharitz (Eds.) Ecology of Freshwater and Estuarine Wetlands, 2nd ed. University of California Press, Berkeley, CA.
- Thompson, J.A., S.M. Roecker, S. Grunwald, and P.R. Owens. 2012. Digital Soil Mapping: Interactions with and Applications for Hydropedology. In Lin, H. (Ed.). Hydropedology: Synergistic Integration of Soil Science and Hydrology. Academic Press. p. 665-709.