Assistant Professor of Wildlife and Fisheries
Carol Arantes’s research examines the ecology and management of fish and fisheries in relation to environmental changes processes affecting freshwater ecosystems, including ecosystem alteration and fishing pressure. Dr. Arantes research applies a range of interdisciplinary approaches with the aim to advance scientific knowledge that offers solutions to fish and fisheries conservation problems at local, regional and global levels. In the last years, Carol has developed extensive research addressing the effects of overfishing, deforestation, and hydropower dams on fish assemblages and populations and fishery yields in Amazonian floodplain rivers. She earned her PhD in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences from Texas A&M University (USA), her Masters in Applied Zoology (UESC, Brazil), and Bachelors in Oceanography (UERJ, Brazil), and was a Research Associate at the Michigan State University, Center for Global Change and Earth Observations (MSU).
- Arantes CC, Laufer J, da Silva Pinto MD, Moran EF, Lopez MC, Dutka‐Gianelli J, Pinto DM, Chaudhari S, Pokhrel Y, Doria CR. 2021. Functional responses of fisheries to hydropower dams in the Amazonian Floodplain of the Madeira River. Journal of Applied Ecology.
- Arantes CC, Castello L, Basurto X., Angeli N, Sene-Harper A., McGrath DG. 2021. Institutional effects on ecological outcomes of community-based management of fisheries in the Amazon. Ambio, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13280-021-01575-1
- Pereira SA, da Silva RA, Campos-Silva JV, Arantes CC. 2021. Assessing biological traits of Amazonian high-value fishes through local ecological knowledge. Hydrobiologia, 848(10), 2483-2504. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10750-021-04569-y
- Schons S, Arantes CC , Cobourn K, Amacher G. 2020. Benefits of Community Fisheries Management to Individual Households in the Floodplains of the Amazon River in Brazil. Ecological Economics. 169, 106531.
, Winemiller K, Asher A, Castello L, Hess, L Petrere M, Freitas C. 2019(a).
Floodplain land cover affects biomass distribution of fish functional diversity
in the Amazon River.
Scientific Reports. 9, 16684 doi:10.1038/s41598-019-52243-0
- Arantes CC , Fitzgerald D, Winemiller K. 2019(b). Impacts of hydroelectric dams on fishes and fisheries in tropical rivers through the lens of functional traits. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. 37:28-40.
- Arantes CC , Winemiller K, Petrere M, Freitas ECC. 2019(c). Spatial variation in aquatic food webs in the Amazon River floodplain. Freshwater Science. 38: 213-228.
- Oberdorff T, Dias MS, Jézéquel C, Albert JS, Arantes CC and 21 other authors. 2019. Unexpected fish diversity gradients in the Amazon Basin. Science Advances. 5: eaav8681
- Arantes CC , Winemiller K., Petrere M, Castello L, Freitas C, Hess, L. 2018. Relationships between forest cover and fish diversity in the Amazon River. Journal of Applied Ecology. 55:386–395.