Assistant Professor of Human Nutrition and Foods
Extension Specialist, Food System and Human Health
Dr. Cangliang Shen is an Assistant Professor/Extension Specialist at Davis College, Animal & Nutritional Science and Families & Health Center at West Virginia University. Dr. Shen worked at IEH Consulting Groups, USDA-ARS, and Western Kentucky University as postdoctoral research microbiologist and assistant professor of microbiology after obtaining his Ph.D. from Colorado State University. Dr. Shen is currently teaching undergraduate/graduate level food science/microbiology course including general microbiology lecture with lab, food microbiology lab, and food chemistry. Dr. Shen’s research interest is in developing postharvest sanitizing procedures for reducing food safety risks on poultry meat products and fresh produce at both the laboratory and pilot plant levels. Dr. Shen has published 29 papers in peer-review food science/microbiology journals and has presented 42 times in national or international food science conferences.
- KaWang Li, Hanna Khouryieh, Lisa Jones, Xiaoli Etienne, and Cangliang Shen*. 2018. Assessing Farmers Market Produce Vendors' Handling of Containers and Evaluation of the Survival of Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes on Plastic, Pressed-Card, and Wood Container Surfaces at Refrigerated and Room Temperature. Food Control. 94: 116-122.
- Lacey Lemonakis, KaWang Li, Jeremy Adler, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Microbiological quality assessment and validation of antimicrobials against unstressed or cold-stress adapted Salmonella and surrogate Enterococcus faecium on broiler carcasses and wings. Poultry Science. 86: 4038-4045.
- KaWang Li, Lacey Lemonakis, Brian Glover, Joe Moritz, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Impact of built up litter and commercial antimicrobials on Salmonella and Campylobacter contamination of broiler carcasses processed at a pilot mobile poultry processing unit. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. 4:88.
- KaWang Li, Jennifer Weidhaas, Lacey Lemonakis, Hanna Khouryieh, Martin Stone, Lisa Jones, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Microbiological Quality and Safety of Fresh Produce in West Virginia and Kentucky Farmers’ Markets and Validation of a Post-harvest Washing Practice with Antimicrobials to Inactivate Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. Food Control. 79:101-108.
- Cangliang Shen and Yifan Zhang. Food Microbiology Laboratory for the Food Science Student: A Practical Approach. 2017. Springer. •ISBN 978-3-319-58371-6