Associate Professor of Human Nutrition and Foods
Extension Specialist, Food System and Human Health
Dr. Cangliang Shen is an Associate Professor/Extension Specialist at Davis College, Division of Animal & Nutritional Sciences and Family & Community Development, West Virginia University. Dr. Shen worked at IEH Consulting Groups (Research Associate), USDA-ARS (Postdoctoral Research Microbiologist), and Western Kentucky University (Assistant Professor) after obtaining his Ph.D. from Colorado State University. Dr. Shen is currently teaching General Microbiology, Food Microbiology Lab, and Food Chemistry courses. Dr. Shen’s research interest is in developing postharvest sanitizing procedures for reducing food safety risks on poultry meat products and fresh produce. Dr. Shen has published 42 journal articles, 2 textbooks, and 2 book chapters, and secured USDA-NIFA grants over $2.3 million. Dr. Shen serves as the editorial board member of Journal of Food Protection and Food Protection Trends. Dr. Shen received Outstanding Volunteer Award of Food Microbiology Division-Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) in 2018. He was the Chair of Food Microbiology Division-IFT in 2019-2020 and he is the Chair of Biotechnology Division-IFT in 2021-2022.
- Timothy Boltz, Joseph Moritz, Victoria Ayres, Casey Showman, Jacek Jaczynski, and Cangliang Shen*. 2021. Modeling thermal inactivation of Salmonella Typhimurium in poultry feed. Journal of Applied Poultry Research, 20, Article 100208.
- Wentao Jiang, Carly Waldman, KaWang Li, Jacek Jaczynski, and Cangliang Shen*. 2021. Survival of Salmonella and the surrogate Enterococcus faecium in Cooking of Moisture Enhanced Reconstructed Comminuted Chicken Patties by Double Pan-broiling. Poultry Science, 100, Article 101171.
- Wentao Jiang, Sumit K. Paudel, Nirosha Ruwani Amarasekara, Yifan Zhang, Xiaoli Etienne, Lisa Jones, KaWang Li, Fay Hansen, Jacek Jaczynski, and Cangliang Shen*. 2021. Survey of Small Local Produce Growers' Perception of Antibiotic Resistance Issues at Farmers Markets. Food Control, 125, Article 107997.
- Wentao Jiang, KaWang Li, Yu-Chun Chiu, Carly Waldman, and Cangliang Shen* 2020. Inactivation of Campylobacter jejuni in Moisture Enhanced Non-Intact Chicken Patties by Double Pan-broiling as Affected by Cooking Set-Up Temperature and Pump Rate. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 133, Article 109938.
- Yu-Chun Chiu, Cangliang Shen, Mark Farnham, and Kang-Mo Ku. 2020. Three-Dimensional Epicuticular Wax on Plant Surface Reduces Attachment and Survival Rate of Salmonella during Storage. Postharvest Biology and Technology. 166, Article 111197. (co-first author)
- KaWang Li, Yu-Chun Chiu, Lisa Jones, Wentao Jiang, Xiaoli Etienne, and Cangliang Shen*. 2020. Comparing the Efficacy of Two Triple-Wash Procedures with Sodium Hypochlorite, Lactic-Citric Acid Blend, and Mix of Peroxyacetic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide to Inactivate Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes, and surrogate Enterococcus faecium on Cucumbers and Tomatoes. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 4, 19.
- KaWang Li, Xiaoli Etienne, Yu-Chun Chiu, Lisa Jones, Hanna Khouryieh, and Cangliang Shen*. 2020. Validation of triple-wash procedure with a H2O2-peroxyacetic acid mixer to improve microbial safety and quality of butternut squashes and economic feasibility analysis. Food Control. 112, Article 107146.
- Kang-Mo Ku, Yu-Chun Chiu, Cangliang Shen, and Matthew Jenks. 2020. Leaf cuticular waxes of lettuce are associated with reduced attachment of the foodborne pathogen Salmonella spp. at harvest and after postharvest storage. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 117, Article 108657.
- Cangliang Shen*, Lacey Lemonakis, Xiaoli Etienne, KaWang Li, Wentao Jiang, and Jeremy Adler. 2019. Evaluation of commercial antimicrobials against stress-adapted Campylobacter jejuni on broiler wings by using immersion and electrostatic spray and an economic feasibility analysis. Food Control. 103:161-166.
- Wentao Jiang, Xiaoli Etienne, KaWang Li, Cangliang Shen*. 2018. Comparison of the efficacy of electrostatic versus conventional sprayer with commercial antimicrobials to inactivate Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes and Campylobacter jejuni for eggs and economic feasibility analysis. Journal of Food Protection. 81:1864-1870.
- KaWang Li, Hanna Khouryieh, Lisa Jones, Xiaoli Etienne, and Cangliang Shen*. 2018. Assessing Farmers Market Produce Vendors' Handling of Containers and Evaluation of the Survival of Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes on Plastic, Pressed-Card, and Wood Container Surfaces at Refrigerated and Room Temperature. Food Control. 94: 116-122.
- Lacey Lemonakis, KaWang Li, Jeremy Adler, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Microbiological quality assessment and validation of antimicrobials against unstressed or cold-stress adapted Salmonella and surrogate Enterococcus faecium on broiler carcasses and wings. Poultry Science. 86: 4038-4045.
- KaWang Li, Lacey Lemonakis, Brian Glover, Joe Moritz, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Impact of built up litter and commercial antimicrobials on Salmonella and Campylobacter contamination of broiler carcasses processed at a pilot mobile poultry processing unit. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. 4:88.
- KaWang Li, Jennifer Weidhaas, Lacey Lemonakis, Hanna Khouryieh, Martin Stone, Lisa Jones, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Microbiological Quality and Safety of Fresh Produce in West Virginia and Kentucky Farmers’ Markets and Validation of a Post-harvest Washing Practice with Antimicrobials to Inactivate Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. Food Control. 79:101-108.
- Cangliang Shen and Yifan Zhang. Food Microbiology Laboratory for the Food Science Student: A Practical Approach. 2017. Springer. •ISBN 978-3-319-58371-6
Cangliang Shen and Yifan Zhang. Introductory Microbiology Lab Skill and Techniques in Food Science. 2021. Elsevier Inc. ISBN 9780128216781.