Associate Professor of Human Nutrition and Foods
Extension Specialist, Food System and Human Health
Dr. Cangliang Shen is an Associate Professor/Extension Specialist at Davis College, Animal & Nutritional Science and Family & Community Development at West Virginia University. Dr. Shen worked at IEH Consulting Groups (Research Associate), USDA-ARS (Postdoctoral Research Microbiologist), and Western Kentucky University (Assistant Professor) after obtaining his Ph.D. from Colorado State University. Dr. Shen is currently teaching undergraduate/graduate level food science/microbiology course including general microbiology lecture with lab, food microbiology lab, and food chemistry. Dr. Shen’s research interest is in developing postharvest sanitizing procedures for reducing food safety risks on poultry meat products and fresh produce at both the laboratory and pilot plant levels. Dr. Shen has published 36 papers in peer-review food science/microbiology journals and has presented 58 times in national or international food science conferences. Dr. Shen serves as the editorial board member of Journal of Food Protection and Food Protection Trends.
- Wentao Jiang, KaWang Li, Yu-Chun Chiu, Carly Waldman, and Cangliang Shen* 2020. Inactivation of Campylobacter jejuni in Moisture Enhanced Non-Intact Chicken Patties by Double Pan-broiling as Affected by Cooking Set-Up Temperature and Pump Rate. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 133, Article 109938.
- KaWang Li, Yu-Chun Chiu, Lisa Jones, Wentao Jiang, Xiaoli Etienne, and Cangliang Shen*. 2020. Comparing the Efficacy of Two Triple-Wash Procedures with Sodium Hypochlorite, Lactic-Citric Acid Blend, and Mix of Peroxyacetic Acid and Hydrogen Peroxide to Inactivate Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes, and surrogate Enterococcus faecium on Cucumbers and Tomatoes. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 4, 19.
- KaWang Li, Xiaoli Etienne, Yu-Chun Chiu, Lisa Jones, Hanna Khouryieh, and Cangliang Shen*. 2020. Validation of triple-wash procedure with a H2O2-peroxyacetic acid mixer to improve microbial safety and quality of butternut squashes and economic feasibility analysis. Food Control. 112, Article 107146.
- Cangliang Shen*, Lacey Lemonakis, Xiaoli Etienne, KaWang Li, Wentao Jiang, and Jeremy Adler. 2019. Evaluation of commercial antimicrobials against stress-adapted Campylobacter jejuni on broiler wings by using immersion and electrostatic spray and an economic feasibility analysis. Food Control. 103:161-166.
- Wentao Jiang, Xiaoli Etienne, KaWang Li, Cangliang Shen*. 2018. Comparison of the efficacy of electrostatic versus conventional sprayer with commercial antimicrobials to inactivate Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes and Campylobacter jejuni for eggs and economic feasibility analysis. Journal of Food Protection. 81:1864-1870.
- KaWang Li, Hanna Khouryieh, Lisa Jones, Xiaoli Etienne, and Cangliang Shen*. 2018. Assessing Farmers Market Produce Vendors' Handling of Containers and Evaluation of the Survival of Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes on Plastic, Pressed-Card, and Wood Container Surfaces at Refrigerated and Room Temperature. Food Control. 94: 116-122.
- Lacey Lemonakis, KaWang Li, Jeremy Adler, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Microbiological quality assessment and validation of antimicrobials against unstressed or cold-stress adapted Salmonella and surrogate Enterococcus faecium on broiler carcasses and wings. Poultry Science. 86: 4038-4045.
- KaWang Li, Lacey Lemonakis, Brian Glover, Joe Moritz, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Impact of built up litter and commercial antimicrobials on Salmonella and Campylobacter contamination of broiler carcasses processed at a pilot mobile poultry processing unit. Frontiers in Veterinary Science. 4:88.
- KaWang Li, Jennifer Weidhaas, Lacey Lemonakis, Hanna Khouryieh, Martin Stone, Lisa Jones, and Cangliang Shen*. 2017. Microbiological Quality and Safety of Fresh Produce in West Virginia and Kentucky Farmers’ Markets and Validation of a Post-harvest Washing Practice with Antimicrobials to Inactivate Salmonella and Listeria monocytogenes. Food Control. 79:101-108.
- Cangliang Shen and Yifan Zhang. Food Microbiology Laboratory for the Food Science Student: A Practical Approach. 2017. Springer. •ISBN 978-3-319-58371-6