Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Adjunct Professor of Economics
Faculty Research Associate, Regional Research Institute
Dr. Peter V. Schaeffer is Professor in the Division of Resource Economics and Management, Adjunct Professor of Economics, and Faculty Research Associate at the Regional Research Institute. He has previously served on the faculties of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, University of Colorado at Denver, as a visiting professor at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zurich, as a visiting scholar at the International Labour Organisation in Geneva, and as a faculty research associate at the Institute of Behavioral Studies at the University of Colorado at Boulder. He has over 18 years of experience in academic administration at West Virginia University and the University of Colorado. He has consulted on regional economic development in North America, Europe, and the People’s Republic of China. Dr. Schaeffer is a past chair of the North American Regional Science Council and was president of the Southern Regional Science Association, 2008–9. He currently serves on the editorial boards of nine journals in urban and regional planning, regional science, social sciences, and applied economics. In 2008 he received the William H. Miernyk Award for Lifetime Scholarly Achievement from the Regional Research Institute and in 2016 he was recognized by the Southern Regional Science Association with the William A. Schaffer Award for Outstanding Service to Regional Science.
Dr. Schaeffer’s earned M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in economics from the University of Southern California in 1979 and 1981, respectively, and the licentiate in economics (M.A. equivalent) from the University of Zurich. His research interests are economic policy, particularly (1) regional and rural economics and development; (2) international labor migration and domestic job mobility; and (3) natural resource management issues related to amenities, planning, and energy, and their implications for economic development. He is also interested in economic philosophy and the development of economic thought.
- RW Jackson, PV Schaeffer, editors. Regional Research Frontiers: The Next 50 Years. Volumes 1 (Innovations, Regional Growth and Migration, ISBN 978-3-319-50546-6) & 2 (Methodological Advances, Regional Systems Modeling and Open Sciences, ISBN 978-3-319-50589-3). Advances in Spatial Science series, Springer Verlag, 2017 (in print).
- PV Schaeffer, JO Bukenya, 2014. “Assimilation of Foreigners in Former West Germany.” International Migration, 52(4): 157-174
- PV Schaeffer, MS Kahsai, RW Jackson, 2013. “Beyond the Urban-Rural Dichotomy. Essay in Honor of Professor A.M. Isserman.” International Regional Science Review 36(1): 81-96
- GH Gebremariam, TG Gebremedhin, PV Schaeffer, 2012. “County-Level Determinants of Local Public Services in Appalachia: A Multivariate Spatial Autoregressive Model Approach.” Annals of Regional Science. 49(1): 175-190
- MS Kahsai, C Nondo, PV Schaeffer, TG Gebremedhin, 2012. “Income in the Energy–GDP Nexus: Evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa.” Energy Economics 34(3): 739-746