Assistant Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics
Dr. Levan Elbakidze is an Assistant Professor in the Division of Resource Economics and Management, Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources and Design, and a Faculty Research Associate at the Regional Research Institute, and at the Center for Innovation in Gas Research and Utilization at West Virginia University. He earned his BS and MS from the University of Nevada, Reno, and PhD from Texas A&M University. Dr. Elbakidze’s research program primarily revolves around natural resource economics including water resource economics, management of invasive species, pests and infectious animal diseases, and energy. He is also interested in applications of experimental economics, and in interdisciplinary modeling of systems involving interdependent human and biophysical components. He has received research grants from The U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Geologic Survey, and the Nature Conservancy. His work has been published in Risk Analysis, Water Resources Research, Resource and Energy Economics, Ecological Economics, Agricultural Economics, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, and other peer reviewed journals.
- Elbakidze, L., B. Faannunu, A. Mamula, G. Taylor (2017) “Evaluating Economic Efficiency of a Water Buyback Program: The Klamath Irrigation Project”, Resource and Energy Economics, Accepted.
- Elbakidze, L., G Taylor, B. Schiller, (2017) “Irrigation Water Demand Elasticities: Case of southern Idaho” Water Economics and Policy, 3(1)
- Yang, L., L. Elbakidze, C McIntosh, T. Marsh, (2016) “Primary and secondary pest management in agriculture: balancing pesticides and natural enemies in potato production”, Agricultural Economics, 47:1-11
- Elbakidze, L., and Y. Jin (2015) “Are Economic Development and Education Improvement Associated with Participation in Transnational Terrorism?” Risk Analysis, 35(8):1520-35, DOI: 10.1111/risa.12378
- Ghosh, S., K. M. Cobourn, and L. Elbakidze, (2014) “Water Banking, Conjunctive Administration, and Drought: The Interaction of Water Markets and Prior Appropriation in Southeastern Idaho”, Water Resources Research, 50(80): 6927–6949, DOI: 10.1002/2014WR015572
- Elbakidze, L, R. M. Nayga Jr., H. Li, C. McIntosh, (2014) “Value Elicitation for Multiple Quantities of a Quasi-Public Good Using Open Ended Choice Experiments and Uniform Price Auctions”, Agricultural Economics, 45(2):253-265
- Elbakidze L. and K. M. Cobourn, (2013) “Economic Foundations for the Interdisciplinary Modeling of Water Resources under Climate Change”, Journal of Contemporary Water Research and Education 152:32-41.