Skip to main content

Graduate Student Enhancement Grants

We know how important it is to connect with colleagues from peer institutions and industry organizations. We also know it can be financially difficult to travel to multiple conferences and meetings. That's why, as graduate students in the Davis College, you have the opportunity to apply for college-level grants that support research endeavors and travel to conferences and meetings.

All applications must be submitted online. The deadline to apply is midnight on March 31, 2020.

For more information, email Morgan Haas, program coordinator, or call 304-293-0376.

Nath Graduate Student Travel Awards Endowment: If you are a graduate student in Plant & Soil Sciences or Animal & Nutritional Sciences and are seeking funding to attend conferences, present papers, conduct research or travel to enhance your education, apply for up to $500 in travel funds from the Nath Graduate Student Travel Endowment.

Stitzel Graduate Student Support: This support provides students in a doctoral program in the Davis College with travel to present papers, training, research, and professional development. Applications should not exceed $1,000.

CoBank Graduate Student Travel Award: If you are a graduate student in Animal and Veterinary Sciences, you can apply for up to $1,000 from this fund to offset expenses incurred participating in professional meetings and conferences which directly relate to your study objectives.

Robert H. Maxwell Memorial Travel Endowment: If you are a graduate student in the Davis College from any major seeking funds for international travel expenses to study abroad, for other international enrichment experiences relating to volunteer work or research, apply for up to $1,000 in funding from the Robert H. Maxwell Travel Endowment. Students who will travel to Africa for study will get first preference.

Farm Credit Agriculture Graduate Student Fund: If you are a graduate student studying in an agriculture-related program in any Davis College academic unit, you can apply for up to $1,000 in funds to support research seed money, conference travel and expenses, research paper presentation expenses, research travel funding, international travel and study abroad programs and other related graduate activities that would enhance your education.

A.D. Hopkins Entomology Graduate Student Award: If you are a Plant and Soil Sciences graduate student, especially with an interest in entomology, and have demonstrated originality and research ability, you are eligible for up to $2,000 in funding.

HA Wilson - DA Zuberer Graduate Enhancement: If you are in the Division of Plant & Soil Sciences, especially students studying environmental microbiology, you can apply for up to $2,000 to participate in research and educational opportunities including, but not limited to, professional conferences and meetings.

Paul G. Moe Memorial Endowment: If you are a graduate student completing course work or research in agricultural microbiology, you can apply for up to $2,000 in funds. Preference shall be given to students presenting papers at professional conferences and seminars or exhibiting exceptional academic performance.

Dr. Richard M. & Leta K. Smith Memorial Graduate Fellowship: If you are studying in Plant & Soil Sciences and are seeking a master’s or PHD, you are eligible to apply for up to $2,000 in support to present papers, conduct research or study abroad. You must have completed the equivalent of one full year (as defined by the College) of graduate study. Academic performance shall be the primary selection criteria with financial need serving as a secondary consideration. Preference will be given to students majoring in Soil Sciences with an emphasis on Land Reclamation or its successor program area.

Joe Weaver Memorial Endowment: If you are a graduate student in entomology, you can apply for up to $1,000 in funds for travel or research supply expenses.

David & Catherine Samuel Wildlife Graduate Fund: If you are a graduate student in the Wildlife and Fisheries Resources major, with first preference given to those studying wildlife, you can apply for up to $1,000 in support to travel to conferences to present papers or to serve as seed money for research projects. Funds can be utilized for but not limited to travel, housing, and the purchase of materials for research.

Thomas Torries ARE Student Actualization Endowment: If you are a WVU Agricultural and Resource Economics & Management graduate student, you can apply for up to $1,000 for student travel and associated activities, or to conduct research.

Dale Colyer Division of Resource Management Award: The proceeds from the endowment will be used to recognize an outstanding Ph.D student.  All students currently enrolled in or admitted to the Ph.D. program of the Division of Resource Management are eligible. Funds may be awarded annually and the award is for one year. Students may apply for up to $1,000 in support for travel, research or other means to enhance their education.

Dr. Donald J. Horvath Memorial Scholarship: If you are a graduate student in Animal Physiology and you wish to someday teach at a university, apply for this award. You must have a 3.0 GPA. Funds can be utilized for research or travel or as a scholarship.

Dr. Kenneth L. Carvell Graduate Fellowship: Eligible candidates shall be currently enrolled graduate students in the West Virginia University Davis College of Agriculture, Natural Resources & Design's Division of Forestry & Natural Resources; shall be pursuing a MSF; and shall be engaged in forest management or forest science research.  Recipients shall demonstrate good academic standing as defined by WVU.  The recipient shall carry the title of the Dr. Kenneth L. Carvell Fellow and funds can be utilized for travel or research.

John R. Tschiderer LA Education Experience Fund (LEEF): If you are a graduate student in Landscape Architecture, apply for funds to provide assistance for travel for presenting research, to conduct research, or other activities that enhance your education. It is expected that candidate students will also apply for additional funds made available through their school or other matching grants. You can apply for up to $1,000.