Professor, Extension Weed Specialist
Rakesh S. Chandran was raised in Kerala, India, where he obtained B.Sc. in Agriculture from Kerala Agricultural University (1988). Subsequently, he moved to U.S.A., where he completed a one-year ‘International Gardener Training Program’ diploma at Longwood Gardens Pennsylvania (1990), followed by M.S. in Horticulture from Univ. Florida (1993), and Ph.D. in Weed Science from Virginia Tech (1997). After working as a post-doctoral researcher at Univ. Florida, he joined WVU in 1999, where he currently serves as an Extension Specialist and Professor of Weed Science. He has authored several publications including fact-sheets, newsletter articles, research reports, peer-reviewed journal articles and book chapters. He carries out an applied research and extension program to address grower problems related to weed management in agronomic, horticultural, and other crops in West Virginia and the region. He teaches an undergraduate course in Weed Science and coordinates the Integrated Pest Management Program at the University.
- Chandran, R.S. 2014. Strategies for reduced herbicide use in Integrated
Integrated Pest Management: Pesticide Problems, Vol.3 Pimentel, D. and Peshin,
R. (Ed.). Springer.
- Chandran, R.S. 2014. Experiences with implementation and adoption of
Integrated Pest Management in Northeastern USA.
Integrated Pest Management – Experiences with Implementation, Global Overview,
Vol. 4. Peshin, R and Pimentel, D. (Ed.). Springer.
- Chandran, R.S. 2006. Integrated Turfgrass Weed Management. In H.P. Singh, D.R. Bathish, and R.K. Kohli (Ed). Handbook of Sustainable Weed Management. (pp 791-812). NY: Haworth Press.
- Bhowmik P.C., and R.S. Chandran. 2015. Biology, ecology, distribution and
current status of
Sommier & Levier. J. Crop and Weed, 11:1-17.
- Chandran, R.S. 2015. Effect of glyphosate application rates, timings,
and formulations on apple trees. Int. J. Trop. Agri. 33(2:III):1329-1330.