Professor of Reproductive Physiology
Matthew E. Wilson is a native of Indiana and received his B.S. degree in Animal Science from Purdue University in 1994. A work-study position in Dr. Diekman’s laboratory in Animal Sciences was stimulation enough for him to change his focus from pursuing a graduate degree in chemistry to animal science. He accepted a graduate assistantship at Iowa State University under the mentorship of Dr Stephen P. Ford where he earned the M.S. in Physiology of Reproduction in 1996 and the Ph. D. degree in Physiology of Reproduction with a minor in Genetics in 1999. The focus of his graduate research was on placental efficiency, embryo development and litter size in swine. Dr. Wilson accepted a Post-Doctoral Research Fellow position at West Virginia University in 2000 working with Dr. E. Keith Inskeep. In 2002, he accepted a position of Assistant Professor in the Division of Animal and Veterinary Sciences at West Virginia University. Dr. Wilson was promoted to the rank of Associate Professor with tenure in 2008 and promoted to Full Professor in 2013. Dr. Wilson has authored or co-authored three book chapters, 5 conference proceedings, 60 refereed journal articles, 11 technical publications and 74 abstracts. In addition to his research, Dr. Wilson has been an instructor in animal physiology, reproductive physiology, biochemistry, pork production and freshmen orientation.
- Parenti, L., A. M. Foreman, M. E. Wilson , O. Wirth and B. J. Meade. 2016. Selecting Quality Service Dogs (Part 3): Recommendations. The Chronicle of the Dog. Spring 2016:24-29.
- Parrish, J.J., M.F. Smith, R.D. Geisert, D.L. Davis, M.E. Wilson and W.L. Flowers. 2015. How to communicate with undergraduate students that lack an animal science or agricultural background. Animal Frontiers 5:54-59.
- Foreman A. M., L. Parenti, M. E. Wilson , O. Wirth and B. J. Meade. 2015. Selecting Quality Service Dogs (Part 2): Temperament Characteristics. The Chronicle of the Dog Winter 2015:25-32.
- Parenti, L. O. Wirth, J. Meade and M.E. Wilson . 2015. Selecting and Breeding Quality Service Dogs (Part 1): Genetic and Health Considerations. The Chronicle of the Dog Summer 2015:71-77.
- Baughman, P., A. Foreman, L. Parenti, J.R. Scotti, B.J. Meade, M.E. Wilson and O. Wirth. 2015. APDT Research Spotlight: Project ROVER's survey of assistance dog providers. The Chronicle of the Dog Summer 2015:30-33.